Saturday, March 05, 2011

adventures in phily.

The start of my walk to get the train...  at least it was wonderful weather

I spent my Friday in Philidelphia, PA for work.  I needed to be at a meeting with a client.  Now, I'm not a frequent traveler so this will become the norm for me soon given my job.    Anyways.....
The flight out was the first leg of the adventure.  It was  a prop jet.  Yep... a prop jet.

The Phily airport was huge!!  After trying to find the darn Taxi cabs, I finally made it into downtown.  The cabbie took the side roads to avoid the main traffic. Such beautiful brownstones.  And the streets were so narrow!  I'd hate to see what they are like snow covered.

I was dropped off in the "artsy" section of the city - South Broad and Pine.  Can we say total Character?  I sat in Starbucks just watching.  I don't think I can ever burn from my mind the old man, in speedos, wearing skates and carrying a bugle.  Yes... you heard me.  A bugle.

My meetings went well and I made the decision to walk the 9 or so blocks north the Suburban Station to catch the direct Commuter Train to the airport.  My VP called me brave to walk.  I called it an adventure.  The route was direct and full of..  color.  I use the term to describe the flavor of more characters along the way.  WOW!!!

After a 20 min walk, I found the station (right near city hall which was beautiful!!).  Finding the ticket counter was a pain and it was like pulling teeth to get info from the ticket agent.  Its true what they say.. people in Phily are angry.
I have never taken a commuter train before.  When I went to DC with Tim we took the subway but this was different.  It was a step up from subway but not quite Amtrack.  The car conductor was a gruff middle aged man..  with a blinking  tie.  Yes.. he had lights on his tie.  How can you be so angry and wear that tie?

Back at the Airport security went smoothly.  No pat downs at all.  Found my gate, found the shopping, got the souvenirs I promised (how could I not get a mini Liberty Bell bell?) and got some food.

so far, things were going smoothly.  Until it came time to board.  I ran between gate B8 and B1 because the computer was being stoopid.  With that settled on B8, we were old we had to delay boarding because of a BROKEN SEAT. 30 minutes later, we board.  And wait. There was a change in wind direction which was causing take off issues.  We were supposed to take off at 6:10pm.  We took off closer to 8pm.  

Needless to say, I am glad to be home.  And I get to do it all over again next week.  I will miss Mr. Bugle man.

No comments: