Saturday, November 17, 2007

Holidays and a 4 year old

Its like 5 days before Thanksgiving and of course, the streets have the Christmas banners, stores are decorated and some TV shopping shows are totally decorated for Christmas. I stopped on one this morning to see what they were pitching.

"Mom, its not even Thanksgiving! They can't do that! They have to wait until AFTER Thanksgiving." says the 4 year old bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7:30 AM.

"can't do what?" says I half asleep on the chair next to her.

"They decorated for Christmas! Its too early. They HAVE to wait for AFTER Thanksgiving" she says will all the power of an attorney.

Wow I thought. The 4 year old who declares "I want that for Christmas" with every toy ad on TV has observed the simple fact that its just too damn early for Christmas marketing. She's so smart.

Now I have to admit something. Friday I WANTED to hear Holiday music. Like Bing or Julie Andrews.. the stuff I grew up on thanks to my Mom and Dad. Well, mostly Dad who listened to WJYE on the way home from Grandma's house every Saturday or Sunday. They played the ''classics" from the 50's all the time and at Christmas played tons of Holiday music. It was cold and snowed a bit (not sticking but flakes were visible). I wanted to hear Christmas music. With some luck, I found a Best Of Bing CD in the car and it had 3 songs on it. I cried for some reason.

No comments: