Thursday, June 09, 2011

marshmallows

I made Rice Krispie treats last night for a work lunch today.  This happens to be Erin's favorite treat for the moment.  But it has to be mine since I add more marshmallows and its softer.  Lack of teeth and hard food = trouble.

So I gave her a piece this morning as a treat like you should because its my birthday week.  She turns to me and asks "Mom, what are marshmallows made of?"
My response - "Good question.. lets look"... in other words, to the cloud (teehee).

I look up the ingredients to confirm and I start reading them off.  I pause and say gelatin.
"Whats that?"

I braced myself for the outcome I foresaw - the spitting out of whatever was in her mouth.
"Well, gelatin comes from animal skin and bones... "pause.. no response.
She keeps eating
"You know how we are supposed to use as much of an animal as possible?" I say
"Like the Sioux and Powhatan Indians used the buffalo and deer" she responds.
"Yes, exactly"
"So thats why that lady at the party couldn't eat the Igor Bars right? Because she was a vegetarian?" says the 8 year old with marshmallow hanging off her chin.
"You got it."
This next statement make me laugh... "I don't care where it comes from, just as long as it tastes good".

out of the mouths of babes....

No comments: