Saturday, May 26, 2012

Easy isn't better sometimes

I just read this article from the Mirror.  And I have to say.. it makes sense.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/women-are-fatter-because-they-do-less-housework-846757

We have SOOO many modern conveniences.  Dishwashers, washers and dryers.  Toss stuff in and its done.  Propelled lawn mowers and snow blowers.  Spray and leave cleaning solutions where scrubbing isn't needed.  The desire to make it easier for women and men has left us bigger. On top of the modern home conveniences, we have tons of fast food options to make it easier for us.  It reminds me the passengers in WALL-E.  Always on the go.  

When was the last time you heard that someone did their laundry by hand? or scrubbed their floors once a week or more? Or used a push mower (no gas or electric here kids, just pure muscle power)?  I remember using a push mower at the cemetery and it was hard.  I used one when we first moved in since the lawn mower we had died.  It was hard.  But it felt good.  I often opt to shovel instead of snowblow .. (I hate dealing with her. she only likes Tim and not me).  Its hard!  Especially when the snow is wet and heavy.

I noticed when I was on a cleaning rampage, my spent calories was way up.  Somewhere between 700 and 1000 for the day.  That's a lot!

So think about it.  Modern cleaning conveniences, fast food and a busy schedule = thicker middle and spending extra money to try to get rid of it.

Doing chores the old fashion way (elbow grease) + ditching the fast food = me loosing a few inches.  I know it works.  I did it.

Go ahead..  bring on the arguments that the new vacuum cleaners, washers, dryers and so on are great time savers freeing up time to do other family things.  There is nothing like a good dance while I hang laundry with Erin.  Or a talk with Tim while we do the dishes.  Or the smiles I get when we tell Tim Erin helped cook dinner.  Now granted, I won't give up the lawn mower or snowblower.  Those are Tim's toys.  And no, you can't have my new washing machine and dryer.  Just move a little more, scrub instead of spray n'leave and skip the drive thru.  That's my plan.


No comments: