Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Listening

Its about 6 am and I've been up since 5. The wind is howling at a constant 35 mph and gusts up to 60. The temperature started off at 53 degrees and now its 22. The Wind chill is 4 degrees at times. Its called an Arctic Cold Front.

I can hear the garbage cans hitting the houses. There is a plastic container rattling on the fence. With each gust, the house shakes enough to nerve me. I am listening for the tree. A distinct creak that I grew accustomed to in the October storm. I am listening for the silence - power outages have been reported but for some reason, S. Buffalo is usually spared. Especically my street. Almost 20,000 homes without power so far.

The wind stopped for the moment and it was creepy.

I can't go back to sleep.

Erin hasn't woken up yet - she sleeps like Tim.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with ya.. The shutters almost blew off the house. At 6 am Will was there with the windows open tying them to the house so they wouldn't move. It is bone chilling and cold. My mother in law is with our power and will probably spend the night here. This is crazy. I would love to be in Guatemala with our son right now... tee heheh... See you soon. Stephie